Melon : Athena Hybrid Cantaloupe
Highest-quality, 5- to 6-lb. fruits have outstanding flavor and aroma. Firm, salmon-colored flesh holds well after harvest. Vigorous, high-yielding plants. You won’t be disappointed! 75 DAYS. Disease Resistance: Resistant to Fusarium Wilt (Races 0,1, & 2) Powdery Mildew Seed Counts: 1/8 oz. of cantaloupe seeds contains about 125 seeds and sows a 25-ft. row.Cucurbitaceae Cucumis melo
When a Melon is ripe:
- It develops a very strong aroma.
- The blossom end gets soft.
- Most varieties develop cracks around the stem.
- Gently roll the fruit in your hand, if it separates from the vine it is ready.
- The tendril closest to the fruit usually shrivels up.
- The spot where the melon was resting on the ground will turn from white to yellow.
The fruits contain Vitamin C, betacarotene, potassium, pectin and several beneficial phytochemicals, including lycopene and zeaxanthin.